Tag Archives: First Parish Church

When Church Was State

While Capt. Gyles and company built Fort George, the Pejepscot Proprietors continued to plan the physical layout and municipal setup of the two towns on opposite banks of the Androscoggin River. These they named Brunswick, after the king’s Braunschweig family … Continue reading

Posted in Brunswick History | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

Ann at the Crossroads

By 1764, Brunswick in the District of Maine had grown to some 30 households. Located far from the Massachusetts Bay Colony of which it was a part, and the manpower and supplies it held, each person in this frontier town … Continue reading

Posted in Brunswick History | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

Sins of the Father

Robert McManus was born in Brunswick on July 14th, 1764, barely a decade before the Revolutionary War, in a home at the junction of the old Middle Bay and Maquoit Rds. The home was only a few rods south of … Continue reading

Posted in Brunswick History | Tagged , , , , , | 4 Comments